Sunday, October 3, 2010

Week 4

This week we started our assignment which includes various views of the skull. My ten minute drawing went pretty good. I should've drawn quicker because 10 minutes went by in a flash.

My first big drawing was the profile side. This drawing had to be shaded, and I haven't done much shading lately so I was a little nervous about that.

It took quite a long time for me to get the proportions right, but I think they are spot on. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I definitely need more work on the shading, but for now it's good. I also feel like it needs more contrast. Overall I love it, and I can't wait to start the other drawings.

I feel like I'm finally getting a better feel for the skull. I am starting to notice things I didn't see before. I think I'll be able to draw it from memory very soon.

1 comment:

  1. This drawing turned out really well. As you said, the proportions are very good. The shading is also nice, but you could work a bit more on the exaggeration of the form, like the wider area at the back of the skull and that little notch at the back (can't remember the names right now..). The temporal arch also seems to be missing or not shown enough, making the side plane look too rounded. Overall, I like this drawing a lot. On a side note, I liked your front 3/4 drawing, too. I gather that it's good to have it look somewhat like a helmet, and I definitely noticed that feel to your drawing. YCB would approve.

    ReplyDelete