Monday, November 1, 2010

Week 7: Portraits Cont'd


This week we started our first portrait. My first drawing was the 3/4 front view. I figured this view would be easiest to start and surprisingly it turned out really well. I'm happy with how it turned out and I think it actually looks like Evan. If you read my last blog I really don't like doing portraits because I was never able to make the drawing actually look like the person. With this drawing, however, I feel like it does and I'm pumped!

I had to erase quite a few times so it definitely didn't come easy. I struggled with the nose quite a few times. I made it too long and too steep. I also adjusted the outside cheek under the eye quite a bit. I didn't add enough depth/curve for the cheek bone and as a result it looked fairly flat. I'm happy with how the mouth and chin area turned out. I feel like there's good depth and the lips feel full.

Evan's hair is fairly thick, so it was easy to draw it up sort of boxy and shape it from there. This was the first time I tried drawing the hair as a single object, and it finally "clicked" for me.

I struggled with the ear quite a bit... I still think it feels fairly flat. Otherwise I'm very happy with how it turned out!

I feel like I can finally see the skull through all the skin and hair, and this really helps when drawing portraits. I know why each structure is shaped the way it is, and having this knowledge has added more depth and accuracy to my drawings.

No comments:

Post a Comment