Sunday, September 19, 2010

Week 2 - Skulls



This week we started out by drawing skulls. I never drew a skull before, so I was kind of excited to be doing so. My first attempt was pretty good. I got the creative drawing juices flowing again and everything came back to me quickly.

I am more successful at drawing objects that are right in front of me then I am at drawing fictional things or things only in my mind. I like drawing tangible things that are right there in front of me. In Presentation Techniques, we did a lot of "made up" environments that I couldn't really see or touch. Although that class went well, I struggled with creating made up places. I think I need to practice drawing things in my mind because having the ability to convert ideas to paper is very important. Back to skulls... I was excited to be drawing them since they were sitting right in front of me. I could go up and get a closer look and even pick them up if needed.

My second skull wasn't so great, but my third and fourth were very good. By the third drawing I started getting a feeling for the skull. I started learning where each bone was, how it looked, what it attached to, etc.

Day two of drawing went well too. We did longer drawings then day one, and each drawing was more detailed than the previous. I tried to use good line quality to show depth and space. I feel like the drawings should have started off lighter and gotten darker and bolder as I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment